The Disability Inclusive Unit (DIU) was established in August , 2015 and is the fist government department that primarily concerns itself with Disability affairs in Kiribati. Its objective involves:
- Increase coordination and cooperation between stakeholders
- Encourage social inclusion across development programs
- Promote the local understanding of the rights of women, children and men with disabilities
- Strengthen partnerships with the disabled persons organizations (DPOs) to improve the lived experiences of persons with disability.
The vision is for "Kiribati as an inclusive and barrier-free society, where persons with disabilities are empowered and seen, where they have equal opportunities, meaningful participation and full enjoyment of their human rights".
Division’S MAIN Responsibilities
The Disability Inclusive Unit (DIU) envisions ‘Kiribati as an inclusive and barrier-free society, where persons with disabilities are empowered and seen, where they have equal opportunities, meaningful participation and full enjoyment of their human rights’.
Activities underpinning this vision are guided by the Kiribati Development Goals, 2016 – 2019 and the Conventions on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) which include:
- Implementation and systematic revision of the Kiribati National Disability Policy
- Revival of the Kiribati National Council for Persons with Disability
- Increased representation and involvement of the disability sector within the development activities
- Increased social protection measures for persons with a disability
- Work in partnership with the local Disabled Persons Organization (DPO) to strengthen the disability sector.
Mr James Teaero - Senior Disability Inclusive Officer